Friends of Edgewood Annual Report

Friends of Edgewood Natural Preserve is an all-volunteer 501(c)3 corporation funded yearly by membership dues, donations, grants, and proceeds from sales of Edgewood-related merchandise. Our total revenue also includes the proceeds from medium and longer-term investments. Friends of Edgewood’s federal EIN (Employer Identification Number) is 94-3188191.

Program Efficiency
A very high percentage of funds are spent on programs supporting native plant and wildlife preservation, nature education, and habitat restoration at Edgewood County Park and Natural Preserve, San Mateo County’s only natural preserve. Friends of Edgewood is an all-volunteer organization, and we endeavor to keep our management and overhead expenses low.

2021 Treasurer’s Report
Friends of Edgewood board members, along with other volunteers, started the year planning with Covid restrictions in mind. Many of our docents joined our Trail Ambassador Program during the wildflower season allowing them to share their love of Edgewood with visitors without a large docent-led group. While the Bill and Jean Lane Education Center was closed for the year, we took the opportunity to plan and start some needed repairs; we also planned precautions for opening in the future. Docent training and the Junior Explorers remained canceled for the year. Outdoor programs not involving the general public, like Weed Warriors, nest box monitoring, and Adopt-a-Highway, continued with modifications. Our Members General Meeting was held for a second year on Zoom in October. The Board set aside a couple of mornings to revisit the mission and programs supported by the Friends of Edgewood, and we hope to excite our current members, and attract new members, in 2022-2023 with new and updated ideas.

Our biggest expenditure in 2021 was habitat restoration and preservation (Project 467), including the Green Grass initiative (HMP experimentation), Edgewood Farms for seed propagation, and San Mateo thornmint and white-rayed pentachaeta restoration.

2021 was another great year for revenue, allowing us to spend more on habitat restoration and preservation without running a deficit. Membership dues and other gifts amounted to 96% of (non-investment) revenue. We also received some generous grants, primarily for habitat restoration, amounting to the remaining 4% of our incoming (non-investment) revenue.

In 2021, 74% of our expense budget was used for habitat restoration and preservation. Our educational programs and the Bill and Jean Lane Education Center, limited greatly by Covid restrictions, accounted for 4%. Another 8% went to member communications and fundraising, which includes publishing the Explorer newsletter. We also granted 3% to our nonprofit partners who are key to our strategic goals. The remaining expenses were costs related to incoming donations, insurance, and other general operating expenses.

As a mature, all-volunteer run non-profit organization, Friends of Edgewood Natural Preserve endeavors to use our financial resources wisely; to spend our yearly funding within our means and invest for the longer term to support the continuation and growth of our programs.

Thank you again to our volunteers, members, and friends for your generous support. We appreciate your donations of both money and time to preserve and restore Edgewood County Park and Natural Preserve as a unique treasure in our neighborhood.

Angela Mallett
Treasurer

2021 Annual Report Recap*

Annual report
2021
Assets $566,159
Change in assets $55,924
Revenue, unrestricted $77,014
Revenue, restricted $55,054
Investment profit/loss (net unrealized) $11,014
Liabilities $0
Change in liabilities $0
Expenses, general $21,597
Expenses, restricted $65,561

*Financial numbers are preliminary and subject to change up to IRS deadlines in May 2022.

If you have questions about Friends of Edgewood financials, please email treasurer@friendsofedgewood.org.